Sunday, July 5, 2009

Art - "It asks you to hate humanity but to love the humane[...]"

Wednesday August 22, 2007 - 09:53pm (PDT)

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/6762/pdvd002ml8.png
(Believe me I've never seen such powerful image... although it only lasts for a few seconds.)

"
It asks you to look at a man who appears sad and know that inside, he's okay." - Adam P. (Bastian Balthazar Bux) from Iowa City, IA, imdb.com


I've planned to watch this film again before writing this entry, but for some reason I feel like I have to get these thoughts out of my head, before I let them flow away. And it would be a shame to let that happen to such a beautiful masterpiece. So, here I am... But if you are a fan of Hollywood action movies, or those DVDs that are packed with special effects, you'd probably fall asleep before anything even happens. But on the other hand, if you're a fan of horror movies, I mean real horror, not those blood and flesh crap, you might be interested in seeing this film. Leaving aside the plot, this film is beautiful. Considering the plot, this film is wonderfully beautiful. The images are so strong and dark that they turn to be... a bit haunting at times, not because of something scary hiding around the corner, but because the whole thing is fully drown in melancholy and sadness, that it place a terrible weight on your chess during the one and a half hour. It never leaves you a single moment of comfort, even during John's days of "happiness" (in quotes, yes). Unlike other dramas that often give you a kind of relief in the middle, before some event happens and screws up the whole thing, this film is soaked with sorrow and carries a burden from the very moment the sound turns on til' it fades away at the end, leaves the sorrow behind that then starts to inexplicably ache inside your veins... One of the strongest example in image is the scene where Dr. Treves saw John for the first time. Although the appearance of John was remained hidden, I felt like I could see what Treves saw, and felt his feelings. The moment his tears started to fall down, I knew that somewhere inside, I was sobbing, too...
Cinematography...Let's just say, only the screen captures from the film would make wonderful black and white photographs. The angle, the colours (yes, u're reading it right), the composition, the light...all are at the perfect fit. The fact that that scenes fade in and out instead of normal cut contributes a great deal to the slow motion of the film, which makes it even more depressing (hey, think of doom metal)...
It would be a terrible mistake not to mention the soundtrack. Great great thanks to a friend of mine, I've had a wonderful dreamy and yes, somewhat ghostly night with John Morris. When I listen to Yann, I see fields in sepia. When I listen to October Falls, I see forests in blue moonlight. When I listen to this, I see alleys that are lightened by nothing but very few street lamps. And when I see stuff while listening to anything, it must be good, in certain ways at least if not all...
Mikael (from Opeth), Steven Wilson, and Lasse Hoile all have claimed that this film is one of their favorites. Consider their tastes in art (well, music, afterall), I was so curious I had to check it out.
The quote showed above is what an IMDB member comments on the film. And I found these two sayings particularly meaningful as it is how I generally feel about humanity and love. I hate humans, no new information. But I can't stand seeing them suffering (damn it!). I can't watch, or even hear any kind of violence. As for the latter, I always tell myself never to confuse love, respect and pity. If you see an old man begging for money on the sidewalk, or go to a hospital and see those people who suffer from mental disorders, love them, if you can. Otherwise, respect them. Fuck pity! They don't need it, and they don't deserve it. It wouldn't make you any more beautiful showing some fucking pity to "unhappy" people. They're fine without it, and probably even more serene than you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment