Sunday, July 5, 2009

Pull me down again...

Friday September 26, 2008 - 09:59am (PDT)

So, has it been 2 days already? Around this time 2 days ago, I was slipping beer from a plastic cup waiting eagerly for the show to start... Anyways, here's what happened.

To be fair, the weekend wasn't off to a great start, except the fog patches that covered Victoria 'til noon on Fri, Oct 3 (the streets looked pretty Opeth-y if you ask me). We missed the 3 o'clock and had to wait 1 hr for the next one; by the time we were in Van, it was already past 5:30 (and the signing session started at 6:00) and Vancouver's traffic is the last thing you would wanna get stuck in when you're in a rush. I was even thinking of skipping the signing and head to the venue instead to ensure a good spot in the line but thought it would really really really suck for me to spend all this time making the screenprint and not have a chance to give it to them, so we head to the records shop afterall. It wasn't hard to spot the place thanks to the huge lineup outside despite the pouring rain and it was already around 6:40 (the thing was supposed to go on for 1 hr only). One thing I didn't know is the guys were nice enough to stick around til everybody got their stuff signed even though that means another boring 1/2 hr for them. I can tell from their faces that they were pretty eager to leave, esp. Per and M.Mendez looked like they needed a cigarette pretty badly. I got my vinyl gatefold signed, gave Mike the print, which he seemed to quite appreciate it, I hope he wasn't just being polite. I was so nervous I forgot to ask about SW's album (see if Jonas really is guesting on it and if he's heard any of the music) and just mumbled some words about taking a picture with them.

Axe looked pretty happy in this one...

03102008164.jpg picture by bubblegum83us


That gray thing Mike's holding is my print...

03102008168.jpg picture by bubblegum83us


My brother and Per... and that's the gatefold I got signed

DSC00009.jpg picture by bubblegum83us


Could I say more...

DSC00010.jpg picture by bubblegum83us


So that's one thing crossed off from the list. I left the store with the news that my friend in Van was too sick and couldn't make it to the show, which means I may have had to go by myself. I know I've been to shows alone hundreds of time before but still it would be nice to go with sb. It turned out the guy (my friend) knows the production manager of the promoter and managed to save 2 xtra tickets for me even though the show was announced to be sold out. That means I could drag my sis and her husband along and hopefully would be able to convert them :D. Thanks to the fact that lots of people preferred to play safe and have their tickets before coming to the show, we were the first ppl in the pickup line, woot.

In case you haven't heard the news, Nachtmystium (or whatever the spelling is) isn't on this tour anymore, which leads to High On Fire playing a longer set. Now, I don't know whether I'm too picky or just too spoiled with good opening bands (Into Eternity, 3, Russian Circles, Fuck Buttons) but sweet mother jesus this band SUCKSSSS!!!! It was a pain in the ass watching them play for 1 hr (although it felt like 1 century) and the fucking mosh pit didn't help either so we finally left the good spot (2nd row right in the middle) and ran off to the side. No dynamics, no melodies, no great solos (there were solos but tbh they sounded like he just randomly ran his fingers up and down the strings), no skilled vocals, what do they expect me to listen to then? (Btw, no offence to any fans, these are just my opinion)

So, after a what seems like a ridiculously long set, they finally left the stage and right after the tech guy checked all the instruments (I counted everything as they checked, Fredrik - 2 guitars, Mike - 2 cool looking ones, Mendez's bass, the drumset, the keyboard) I started to hear the familiar instrumental track they've been using to open the show as the light faded down, leaving the O logo as the only thing visible from the stage...


Heir Apparent
The Grand Conjuration
Serenity Painted Death
Hope Leaves
The Lotus Eater
Bleak
The Night and the Silent Water
Deliverance
Demon of the Fall

The Drapery Falls


First of all, I have to say the show gives me a new respect for Watershed. The two songs from which they played weren’t even my most favorites from the album (Hessian Peel and Burden are) but the live version was amazing, especially The Lotus Eater. The moment when the heavy riffs just stopped all of a sudden, I could feel the tension of the soundscape spreading out across the room. Magical – for lack of better words – moment, everybody seemed to hold their breath during those 3 seconds. If my memories serve me right (which I’m pretty sure it does since I’m pretty familiar with the material by now) they improvised quite a bit on almost every song. Honestly it’s hard to say whether I like it or not since it’s the first time I heard them doing that but it’s a rather decent touch. Heck, who minds some extra solos, especially when they’re from Opeth? And not that they were abusing it :cough:DreamTheater:cough: (don’t kill me, I know there are some DT freaks around here :D). It’s a bit of a shame that the mix on Per’s keyboard was a little low, it was kinda hard to hear the piano part on Heir Apparent at times with such a crowd. After seeing these two songs live, I forget everything I said about Fredrik when he first joined Opeth. The guy fits in so perfectly I often found myself staring in awe at his fingers during the solos. And as u may know, it takes more than some wanking to impress me ;)


Looking at the setlist I think you would agree with me that it’s a pretty “evil” selection. The heavy tracks, The Grand Conjuration, Serenity Painted Death, Deliverance, Demon of the Fall, came off quite nicely. Mike’s voice didn’t lose any of its quality when performed live. The man keeped amazing me by switching non-stop from growl to clean vocals without showing any effort. Even my brother who wasn’t so familiar with Opeth/death metal in general was very impressed as well. Ever since I know I’d have a chance to see Opeth, I hold a secret wish that they would play Godhead’s Lament. The song was the one that got me into Opeth at the very beginning. Anyway, anything from Still Life and I’d be glad.


The rest of the setlist was a bit slower but no less powerful. I love how they placed Hope Leaves after such an intense song as Serenity Painted Death, instant emotional effect. Now, what can I say about Bleak and The Drapery Falls… These two songs are such masterpiece it’s impossible to describe them. The only thing I can remember is that I was totally lost in the music as I mumbled “Crying, who is crying for you here […]” and “Pull me down again and guide me into pain”. I would kill to live those moments again…


Odd facts:


  • Axe is amazing! Watching him play was like high-class eye candy (since the guy himself is already an eye-candy)
  • If Mike wasn’t a musician, he would be a comedian. The guy made me chuckle several times with his sick humour.
  • Another thing that made me chuckle is this… (they took “blank face” a little too far; this is like the ugly version of Backstreet Boys and their uniforms…and sorry I know the photo sucks)

img410/3056/dsc00021xa0.jpg

(I hope it wasn’t a laundry crisis)


  • Did you know…that Mike lived with his mom until he’s 22? And that he used to be a male prostitute? (I wonder whether that was before or after he moved out)
  • In between High on Fire and Opeth sets they played some songs over the sound system and one of them was Nick Drake’s River Man. The last artist I’d expect at a metal show!
  • Warning: Serious mosh pit and and irresponsible smokers HATER ahead!!! I had the perfect spot at the beginning but thanks to those fucking idiots I had to leave it for a much less decent view. And the fire alarms must have rang for at least 3 times in the middle of the show because of the smoke. I’d have cut their heads off if they made us evacuate in the middle of the show.
  • Not only I left the good spot, I left the good spot with 2 cute guys next to me

Some videos we took over at youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment