Sunday, July 5, 2009

On The Monday Of Life

Tuesday October 16, 2007 - 12:33pm (PDT)

October
October the 2007
at
Salle Albert-Rousseau
/Sainte-Foy

Ok, to those who are interested, here is the "report" on last night show, Porcupine Tree in Quebec city! First thing, I'm really very very sad to let u know that all cameras were banned, so there was no "proof" remained but my upcoming useless humble words, fuck it!

Waiting Phase One

...which started about 2.5 months ago when I knew for sure that I'd be able to make it to my very 1st PT show. Counting down everyday since then...

Waiting Phase Two

So as usual, I got there @ the venue @ around 6:00PM, although the show didn't start until 8:00. I know I'm a little paranoid but hey, it doesn't harm anyone, does it? Unlike DT show, this venue got 2 doors, which means that by the time I got there, although the tour bus was parked at the rear door, there was nobody around. A bit disappointed, I have to say. Getting inside the building, I realized I was the first person who arrived. Two guys from the crew were still setting up the merchandise counter when they saw me and "informed" that I wasn't actually allowed to be around there. While I was waiting for an hour, more ppl came in and pretty much 2/3 of them were daddies (is that how it's spelled in plural???). I got looked at quite strangely but who gives a shit. The gate was opened at 7:00 and the next thing I know the counter was hijacked. There were several CDs of Richard, Gavin, Colin and John, together with Steve's cover version III and IV, the DVD, In Absentia, FOABP, the EP, the signed hardcover booklet version of Deadwing (which I got after the show), a set of drumsticks (which look...a little dull) and a set of 4 pins. O, and several T-Shirts as well, of which there was no small size cause apparently Canadian custom officers want to keep them for their daughters. Fuck those fuckers!!!

Waiting Phase...Three

After making sure that the guy'd still be there after the show, I settled down in my seat. The show officially started at 8:00, by...3. Yea, unlike what we thought (we = Iris & me), there WAS an opening band, which is named 3. The music was pretty good though, to be honest, but the vocals was...not that impressive. The guy's voice sounded too...easy, or thin, kinda thing. Having said that, they were fun to watch, still, especially how two drummers played around with the percussions, they even had a gong on stage, along with all kinds of other "do^` cho*i". Those guys played for almost an hour ( a bit too much I think) then there was a little break.

The Start of Something Beautiful

Around 9:10, there came my guys! (ok, our guys)

Steve was barefoot, as usual (the 1st thing I had to look) and he looked oh-so-handsome. (Please, forgive my sickness!). They started right away with What Happens Now, which remained unknown to some ppl based on their reaction. Thanks to torrent and Iris for the information, I've bin listening to the EP for some time now. Before I get confused with the order, here is the set list. The order might be a bit fucked up in the middle, but those were the ones:

What happens now?

Sound of Muzak

Fear of A Blank Planet

Lazarus

Anesthetize

Nil Recurring

Dark Matter

Open Car

Blackest Eyes

A Smart Kid

Cheating Polygraph

Way Out Of Here

Sleep Together

Trains

Halo

Now, fact number 2: (n0. 1 will come in a minute) since the show wain Quebec city, which is a really "francophone" city, I noticed not many people knew the lyrics.

Fact n0. 1: After SoM, Steve sent a little "Bonsoir" et "Merci beaucoup" to the crowd and said sth like "It seems that there is no kids in here!". He went on asking if anyone was under 18 but "Don't get me wrong, we love to play for you old folks, too".

He was actually right. More than half of the crowd was old-grown-up-s. So, fact 1 + fact 2 + the fact that this is a seating venue = the show could be a little more exciting. Everytime I looked around I could only see a few heads moving, apart from that, they were all enjoying some music with beers at hand. Myself I must have looked like a nuts for yelling along every song and for headbanging like hell everytime there came a chance.

Now, here come the details...All songs from FOABP were very very very well played. All the sounds were brought on stage, no detail missing, plus the feel of a live show made them sound even better. Anesthetize was certainly the highlight of all. It was perfect! Everybody had to stand up for that song, simply one of the greatest! Way Out Of Here was great, too. I've been warned on John Wesley's part, but hey, it didn't sound that bad! Since my fav part of this song is not the chorus, I didn't really mind, hehe. My Ashes and Sentimental weren't played this time, which was a shame, I mean I don't care about My Ashes, but Sentimental is my fav of the whole, damn it!!!!

3 Deadwing songs are all my favorites from the record, besides Mellotron Scratch, so I can't really complain much. Open Car was brilliant as always. I didn't like this song so much when I listened to the studio album, but after watching it on the DVD, I just got hooked and loved it since. Lazarus was beautiful, in the deepest means of this word. Halo, the closing song, was well worth it. It's pretty much my most fav from Deawing, and watching it live was...surreal. Excellent performance, in addition with impressive light and visual effects!

3 songs from In Absentia are like the PT classics. Who wouldn't like to hear those? Trains, my all time fav, was, again, beautiful. Blackest Eyes is the song that was made to played live.

I was sooo soooo happy that they played Dark Matter and A Smart Kid. Both are kinda old songs but two of the most decent tracks from PT I think. A Smart Kid was...undescribable! I almost cried watching him playing the song. I was kinda hoping that there'd be more material from the older records like Stupid Dream, or Lightbulb Sun, even On the Sunday of Life (I know that one is a little back then, but... anyways). Normal would be awesome, too. I hope it'll be there in their next tour.

Apart from that , if there was sth that can still make me feel incomplete, it'd be...errr...the venue. I wish it was a general admission, I'd surely be on the first row and that means much more fun. And I wish there was only one entrance to the venue. I didn't get to meet and even see anybody off stage. Anyways, without all that it was still the greatest time ever, and I can still get my CD signed the next time they come to town, can't I? Since I already swear to myself, I'm gonna go see them again.

***********

There you go, longest entry ever I think. I hope whoever you are, u're still awake. I couldn't find any photo or video of the show so this is it, I'm afraid.

Tuesday October 16, 2007 - 12:33pm (PDT)

Comments

Hey hah :D of course i'm still awake :P it's 9pm here now :D i thought the PT show you mentioned would be on November :P but... whaww... it happened :P lucky you :D

Hmm, i wonder why they didn't play Arriving Somewhere But Not Here, that song would sound great if being played live i think :-? And how did the new song Nil Recurring sound like? Lately wherever i went (i mean on Internet :P) i just saw people talking about that one over and over again (btw i've just checked the price : 34.49$!! 34.49$ for just an EP?? :|)

Hahah and most of my PT favs were played. i wish i could have been there, it must have been a great show, right? :D (and to be honest i really don't mind the fact that 2/3 of the audiences were daddies :)) :)), no problem, i just care about the music :D)

Thanks for this report-entry :D (hehe thế này là đủ rồi chị ạ :D ko có ảnh ko sao :D đọc sướng thật :X)

Tuesday October 16, 2007 - 09:19pm (BST)

After the Deadwing tour I don't think they've kept Arriving Somewhere... in the set list anymore. To me, that song is a bit of the opposite to Open Car. I used to love it when I listen to the studio album, but since I watched it on the DVD, I kinda get...bored. Still, me too i'd think that one would be great on stage.
I didn't mind the fact that most of the crowd was old, if only they were a bit more..energetic. It's always more fun to be in an excited crowd since it also affects the artist's mood, although sometimes it might mean that some guy would keep yelling random stuff and make you feel like swearing in ur head ^^ :D :p
The stuff from Nil Recurring was awesome. Have u got it? It's leaked on torrent now. Where did u find that price? I bought it at the show for only $15 CAD :-s

Tuesday October 16, 2007 - 05:25pm (PDT)

Great to hear that you enjoyed the show! I'll read till the end no matter how long it gets ^^ Was there anything else you bought there?
"I was kinda hoping that there'd be more material from the older records like Stupid Dream, or Lightbulb Sun, even On the Sunday of Life (I know that one is a little back then, but... anyways)."
--> They played Lightbulb Sun & Sever in the first leg and Shesmovedon at some last shows. And yes it'd be nice to hear something from OTSOL, though it's just wishful thinking (I'm actually thinking of Linton Samuel Dawson - greatest vocals of all time haha :)) )
"Way Out Of Here was great, too. I've been warned on John Wesley's part, but hey, it didn't sound that bad! Since my fav part of this song is not the chorus, I didn't really mind, hehe."
--> My fav part of the song is... er, the whole song :P Amazing vocals + killer guitar solo + haunting soundscapes.
My little question is who was actually running the show? Gavin, or SW??? :P :D

Wednesday October 17, 2007 - 11:47am (ICT) Remove Comment

I know that they played Shesmovedon and Lightbulb Sun but Sever?? That'd be a hell of a song on stage, one of my favs from Signify (although it's kinda hard to pick my favs from that CD if not the whole thing, and i bet u know what I mean ;) )!!! :((
My fav part of WOOH is from the beginning to right before the chorus, which was perfectly played that day.
That's a good question my dear. Since I'm sitting really really on the left side of the stage, I can't really see Gavin, which is a huge shame. He was pretty much hidden behind the drumset and SW. Gosh, now all I want is to watch him play Hatesong... :-s
I also got the EP and Deadwing. This Deadwing got 2 CDs in there, I haven't checked it out to see what thay are yet. Btw, message me ur mailing address, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment